Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cake, Cake And More Cake

I thought to share more about myself today. I've been a hobby baker and cake decorator for four years and still love everything cake. Nowadays though, I've slowed down dramatically. I do hope to get back into it... eventually.

One of my first experiences was in preparation for my daughter's first birthday which was back in 2008. My friend Madeleine and I took a crash course in cake decorating with a local wedding cake decorator - April Cakes. 

I had a Disney theme for my daughter's birthday and this was her dessert stand. A 6" Minnie Mouse cake stood on top, it was covered with marshmallow fondant. On the two lower tiers, I placed pink Mickey Mouse silhouette topped cupcakes and figurines. Bags of Mickey Mouse shaped sugar cookies decorated with royal icing were placed for the bottom tier.


A few months passed and I finally had the opportunity to enroll at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts. In 2009, I completed Wedding & Special Occasion Cake Decorating, a 20-hour program that involved (Australian) rolled fondant, gum paste and royal icing. The cherry blossom square cake is one of many practice cakes.


After completing the course, my friend Jen asked me to bake her husband a masculine cake for his birthday. I wanted to try working with chocolate fondant so I thought it was fitting for the occasion. As I look back, this is still one of my all-time favorite designs.


The Transformer was made just for fun for my brother in-law's birthday.


My brother asked me to bake his friend a birthday cake and I've always wanted to work with fresh flowers. I even did some hand painting on the fondant plaque!


Jen's daughter had two birthday parties coming up and she collaborated with me for a Little Mermaid theme. This cake was in celebration with their family - Ariel under the sea.


And these cupcakes were in celebration with her friends. Ariel topped cupcake on the top, the sea and candles below.


Jen's birthday was coming up she encouraged him to call me. Good thing he called since it gave me a chance to practice making fondant roses. Next time I think I'll try using gumpaste instead of fondant.


My daughter's second birthday arrived and she was born in the (Chinese Zodiac) year of the pig. There was an individual on Wilton's forums who baked adorable little cows, and in turn inspired these two little pigs! 


A friend of a friend was referred to me. I love challenges and she asked me to do a Sponge Bob cake for her daughter's birthday. As you can see, I gladly accepted.


It's was Jen's BIG day and she requested that I bake her wedding cake - yikes! I politely declined at first because I felt that I lacked the experience, but then rose to the occasion. This was definitely my most stressful cake yet. This was her cake, captured beautifully by the wedding photographer.


Vancouver, BC was the host city for the 2010 Winter Olympics. MukMuk was our family's favorite mascot sidekick so we baked a cake in his honor. 


A friend of a friend's friend referred me to her friend (confusing huh?). Anyhow, she requested a whimsical cake theme for her birthday and I discover that I really like decorating whimsy! 


My friend of a friend had another special occasion - a fundraiser. I always enjoy doing her cakes because she usually has a vision and I find that the creative process is the fun part.


Another year has passed and my brother's friend wanted to surprise him with a mixed martial arts cake for his birthday. My husband helped with the design of this one.


My daughter is three! It was the preschool Halloween party and she was a ballerina monkey, so we decided to top her mini cupcakes with... you guessed it, ballerina monkey's.


So, this post basically brings you up to speed with most of my cakes to date. I know I've missed a few but I promise to post them when I come across the files. Keep on decorating and bye for now... Gabrielle xo

No comments:

Post a Comment