Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thin and Crisp Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

If you prefer your oatmeal cookies thick and chewy, then you may not want to bake this one. This recipe makes a thin and crisp cookie, which is a requirement in my household.


I saw the initial photograph of a chocolate drizzle oatmeal cookie on Pinterest and clicked on the blog for the recipe. I just did a search and I cannot find the original blogger so my apologies that I wasn't able to credit her with this awesome recipe. But, if this is your recipe please claim it and I'll definitely add a link back to your post.


The original recipe calls for melted semi-sweet chocolate to be drizzled on top of the baked and cooled cookies. I had the girls with me while I was baking so (for time management purposes), I made the executive decision to just add 1/2 cup of chopped milk chocolate to the dough.


Here's the recipe:

drizzle chocolate oatmeal cookies

ingredients
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 1/2 cups uncooked old-fashioned rolled or quick-cooking oats
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

instructions

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and 1 cup butter and beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add water; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Beat until well mixed.
  3. Using a cookie dough scoop (or by hand) shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. (dough will be sticky.) Place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Using the bottom of glass, greased and dipped in sugar, flatten cookies to 2-inch diameter . (you will need to dip glass in sugar for each cookie, grease as needed)
  4. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.
  5. Drizzle with chocolate.
my variation

I halfed the recipe, added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and added 1/2 cup of chopped milk chocolate pieces. I rolled dough into 1/2 tablespoon balls, flattened with a parchment lined cup, and baked for 11 minutes. Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment