Sunday, February 5, 2012

Nanaimo Bars

I was never into Nanaimo bars. I was reintroduced to them by a Starbucks barista who recommended that I try it. According to her, it was the best... and it certainly was! Unfortunately, these specific Nanaimo bars are only sold at Starbucks during the holidays. Of course, I want one during the month February. Since I have been on a bit of cooking frenzy these days, why not make a batch of the ever so chocolaty bars myself?!

The recipe can be found from the city of origin Nanaimo, BC.


I preceded to follow the directions as closely as possible. But, when I added the beaten egg to the double boiler, the mixture started to separate and I was afraid that the egg would curdle so, I removed the mixture from the heat and whisked until thick. I placed it back on the double boiler after it thickened to keep the mixture warm.


I didn't want overly large coconut shavings in the bottom layer so I gave them a few pulses in the food processor since I had already used it for my frozen homemade graham crackers from last week.


This is how the completed bottom layer looked after pressing firmly into an 8X8 pan.


The second layer was straight forward. I decided to add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract because I LOVE my vanilla.


Custard powder is crucial to this layer and I've never used it before. I have no clue what I'll be doing with an entire tin of this stuff - I foresee a lot of Nanaimo bars in my future.


I dolloped the second layer onto the bottom layer.


So far, so good.


I weight my semi-sweet chocolate chips and it didn't look like it was going to be enough so I added an additional 2 oz.


The third layer still looked rather thin to me. Oh well, time to chill in the refrigerator.


My son had a birthday to attend in the afternoon. I chilled the bar for about an hour and sliced a good portion and placed it on a cake board. I had made this with my mother-in-law's birthday in mind and planned on serving it for dessert after dinner (last night). I saw a gorgeous backdrop while out and couldn't resist a photograph. 


We arrived for dinner at Tomahawk Restaurant where we saw an episode of the Food Network Canada's show "You Gotta Eat Here." I just had to dine here after seeing their signature "bacon-mushroom-cheeseburger." I decided to photograph the bar once again in front of the now famous; iconic restaurant.


My sister-in-law (who's not overly big on dessert) devoured it. I told her that was the biggest compliment yet. I was so thrilled.

This is the recipe found on www.nanaimo.ca.
Nanaimo Bar recipe by Joyce Hardcastle 
Bottom Layer 
½ cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
¼ cup sugar
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 ¼ cups graham wafer crumbs
½ c. finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut
Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.
Second Layer½ cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. and 2 Tsp. cream
2 Tbsp. vanilla custard powder
2 cups icing sugar
Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
Third Layer 
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment