Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pannekoeken

Pannekoek

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pannenkoek or pannekoek[1] (plural panne(n)koeken) is a Dutch pancake.[2] Pannekoeken are usually larger (up to a foot in diameter) and much thinner than American or Scottish pancakes. They may incorporate slices of baconapplescheese, or raisins.


I felt like pannekoeken a few days ago. My mother in-law has this recipe posted on the refrigerator door and I snapped a photograph knowing that I would one day try it. A (Dutch) friend gave her the recipe and I found some additional information regarding the background of pannekoeken from The Netherlands-American Association of Minesota (NAAM)

They indicate that "the ingredients of the basic pannekoek are incredibly simple. If you are a beginner, just start with the basic recipe and then make adjustments as you go: all purpose flour, milk, egg, salt, butter for frying. Notice there are no amounts. This is a reflection of the flexibility of the recipe. There are two simple rules to making the batter, one requires the use of metric measures and the other ommits measures all together. The amount of flour in grams requires twice as much milk in milliliters. For example, if you use 400 grams flour, you use 2 x 400 = 800 milliliters of milk. The batter when poured from a spoon or ladle, should flow easily. The batter must be liquid, not like water but it should run thin."

This is exactly my mother in-law's recipe and almost verbatim of what she was told when her friend shared the recipe, so very cute and interesting! 

I quickly put the 4 ingredients together, with the omission of salt (personal preference), and had decided on savory pannekoek.


I grated some medium cheddar and sliced up some ham and into the crepe pan they went. The batter was   slightly thicker compared to the crepe cake recipe but that was the only noticeable difference to me.


I served the pannekoeken with maple syrup and it was delicious. 


The raspberry and whip cream pannekoek was served for dessert after dinner. I used frozen raspberries and simmered them in a pot with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon.

In total, I managed to get 3 savory and 2 sweet pannekoeken with the recipe. This double duty pannekoeken gets a double thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment