Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chocolate Workshop

My friends and I had Groupon's to a local chocolatier that we purchased sometime ago and we finally nailed down a date that would fit with all of our 'mum' schedules.

Firstly, I'll have to say that it was a very informative workshop. We also had the opportunity to taste dark chocolate from five different regions (including cocoa butter and cocoa nibs) in their purest forms. The absolute best part of the evening was getting down and dirty by making our own box of truffles.


The tempering of chocolate was briefly discussed which was a beneficial topic for myself as I've had so my challenges making ganache in the past.


Almost everyone (the exemption being my friend and I) used cutters to mold the ganache. We clearly lacked the patience and/or concentration required for the molds so we cut basic square shapes with a knife. I'm the first to admit that this was much neater process on the overall.


We then hand dipped each piece of ganache into melted dark chocolate and decorated them with strawberry flavored white chocolate petals, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, textured and star-patterned acetate. Our truffles were collected and set in the refrigerator (or was it freezer?) for a few minutes.


Meanwhile, I indulged in a cup of dark hot chocolate with in-house made spiked marshmallows.


Lastly, we packaged our truffles. It was a great end to a truly decadent evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment