Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Asian Lettuce Wraps

I'm sure glad that I stumbled upon this Asian Lettuce Wrap recipe from My Recipes. My family and I have often ordered this great Chinese dish and it's so simple to put together. The children also have fun wrapping their own food which is double bonus for this mum! Give it a try, I highly recommend it.


Ingredients 

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 cup bean sprouts (about 4 oz.)
2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
24 large Boston or butter lettuce leaves
Soy sauce, optional

Preparation

1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in turkey and cook, stirring, until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add broth and hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring and breaking up clumps of turkey, until turkey is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in teriyaki sauce, bean sprouts and carrots. (You should have about 6 cups of filling.)
2. Spoon about 1/4 cup of filling into center of each lettuce leaf. Serve with soy sauce, if desired.
My side notes: I added 1/2 red pepper and 3 celery stalks, omitted the bean sprouts, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, added 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the broth and turkey at 5 minutes, and added 1 tablespoon of hoisin after removing from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment