Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hello Kitty Doll Cake


I hadn't planned on baking and decorating my daughter's first birthday cake - this is what I came up with after 2 short days of planning.

My original plan was to order a 4" birthday cake from a local bakery, but apparently, I missed their holiday booking deadline. I couldn't leave the cake to chance so I decided to go ahead and spent a few extra hours in the kitchen (again).

We were only celebrating with family so I didn't need an overly huge cake. I've always wanted to try decorating a doll cake and this was my opportunity. To my surprise, I never realized Barbie dolls were so tall and there was no way I was going to tackle a larger cake that required carving. In the end, I decided to use a McDonald's Hello Kitty kid's meal toy (her outfit was fitting for a winter birthday I thought). I used half of Wilton's sport ball pan for her skirt and used some left over fondant from my last cake. I was too lazy to make a batch of royal icing for the detail so I used a round tip and mini flower cutter for the pattern. I also purchased spools of Hello Kitty ribbon from Target's $1 department (quite some time ago) which was fitting.

Voila! Happy birthday, baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment